Wednesday, October 31, 2007

First Time to Dentist

I never went to the Dentist in last 29 years. Never had any problem with my teeth. But earlier this year I had an opportunity to go to Dentist for comparatively with no cost. I grabbed that opportunity not because I had problems in my teeth but just to clean up. When I told dentist that I never been to check up before - they were very surprised. One of the senior Prof. in fact was very interested to do some test of my teeth. He took some sample for research - as he said. Anyway I went all those initial process such as taking picture of my teeth and putting some stuff (don’t remember that medicine name now).

As this was going to be done from final year dental student - they divide their job in different phase. Initial process was just the brief inspection and taking pictures etc. I was re-registered for another (final) process of teeth cleaning week later. Next week I went Læknigarður to clean up my teeth for first time and further inspection. Dentist showed my last week report and that surprised them enormously. They only found two holes in my teeth - isn’t it good? And said it’s very minor! They keep asking about my diet back in Nepal, England and Iceland. My replied to them was obvious because nothing has been changed in my diet except the different water -off course. They actually fixed my both hole and cleaned up my untouched teeth from last 29 years. It was bit uncomfortable that day but was fine by the end of the week. Most importantly I did not have to pay as much as when you go to the regular check-up, pretty nice!!

Now it looks like I am having regular pain in my teeth and sometimes I feel really uncomfortable when I am eating hard stuff. Don’t know this is because I went to dentist or perhaps my teeth are getting worse. If I would not have gone to the dentist - my tooth have less problem and less pain? This question perhaps has no logic but physiological thought might be true. Or shall I blame to Icelandic water, chocolates and food? Nevertheless, the dentist will perhaps discover two holes in next 29 years, that will even surprised many - I will be more than happy to have four holes in my tooth in the age of 59.