Thursday, February 12, 2015

Three Hours Lunch Break - Only in Spain

Do you really need three hours lunch Break ? Okay, maybe not in other countries but in Spain they probably need extra two hours more for their lunch break :)

I am currently in Spain - a small city one hour drive from Alicante, for Bio-Hpc research collaboration. The place looks normal and pretty much agriculture area. You can see orange trees everywhere in the city. Well, Murcia is the biggest orange producer in Europe :). While working with my Spanish research group, they started work on 9:15 am in the morning and by the time one O'clock they go for lunch. And, very surprisingly the lunch hour is three hours (from 1PM to 3PM). For me, it was very strange to me and some of my colleagues from Nordic countries also agreed with me. Then, I asked my project promoter about such a long hours lunch break - he has nothing to say on it but  highlighted this is the way it is in SPAIN.

For me and probably many others this might be the discouraging lunch break, well nevertheless when you work with your partners you have to follow the flow of the culture of the country- I guess.