Monday, April 12, 2010

City of schools, hospitas and banking

I was in Nepal recently for two months. I witnessed massive change in capital city. There are obvioubsly some very good developments eg. telecommunication. This is indeed I felt milestone for Nepal. Every signle individual have a mobile phone and interstingly very cheap when making calls. You can find people carrying GSM (mobile phone) from city to himalays and can communicate. This was not possible 5-6 years ago - Thanks to public and private sector.

I am not sure if this is development or not. But there are mushrooms of colleges, schools accross the big cities like kathmandu, biratnagar and so on. In kathmandu you can see either college or school in almost in every cornors. Similarly, finance companies, banks and lending instituion has also increased. I wonder if this is the development of the country or something is not right. A country which as a 29million population with only 48% literacty rate perhaps go up by 100% if the schools and colleges are spreading all over the country.

Nepal is still regarded as a one of the poorest country in the world where mushrooms of financial institutions makes me feel bad when village kids could not afford to eat and go to school for very basic education. My sincere hope such institution will also focus on some philanthropy.